VPN and Your ISP Troubleshooting Guide


If you are getting the error message Unable to Resolve the IP address of the Remote Server. Verify the Host Name in the destination field is correct when trying to connect with the Extranet Client.

Try pinging your destination name (Example: vpn.something.com)if it fails, call your ISP to make sure that their DNS is functioning correctly.

Why do I get No Domain Available when dialing my ISP?

On your Internet Service Providers (ISP) dial connection. Right click the mouse and select the properties button. Click on the Server Type tab and make sure that the Log On To Network box is unchecked.

Why do I seem to be running slowly through my VPN connection?

Try turning off the Software Compression option on your Internet Service Providers (ISP) dial connection as the VPN client has its own compression. Right click the mouse and select the properties button. Click on the Server Type tab and uncheck the Log On To Network box.

I keep getting busy signals when trying to connect to my ISP, what should I do?

Contact your ISP giving the numbers you are trying to connect to. Many times you will find that they can give you an alternate number not published yet that will work just fine. If not, you may need to find another ISP that provides better service.

When configuring the dial icon for my ISP what should I put in the DNS/WINS settings?

Your ISP should supply you with the DNS/WINS settings of your dial connection. Most only give you DNS, in this case just leave the WINS settings blank.

Why when I load the Extranet Client on my PC and Winpoet is installed on my machine it crashes or does not work properly?

There are issues running Winpoet software on the PC with the Nortel Extranet (VPN) Client.

Repair your system boot in safe mode and uninstall the Winpoet Software.

A simple solution is to install the Linksys BEFSR41 hardware router. It has a firmware PPPOE connector, which eliminates Winpoet from the PC and provides the added benefit a NAT firewall for you with the ability to hook up to three other PCs.

A second option is to find a PPPOE Client that does not interfere with VPN Clients.


Platinum Article


Was this Post Helpful?
YES
NO
Somewhat
  
pollcode.com free polls

Poll Comments


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home